Why is STEM important? In short, the future job market will revolve around science. This includes all forms of technology, engineering and math. 80% of jobs in the future will require technology skills. Statistics today show that there will be a drastic shortage of job applicants in the next decade with the skills and knowledge to fill these new positions. While only 4% of the nation’s workforce is composed of scientists and engineers, this group creates jobs for the other 96% of the workforce. The average professional with a STEM-related degree earns more than double the average national wage. About 3 million jobs are currently unfilled because Americans lack the basic STEM skills needed for the positions.
Audience: K-12 Educators and Students
Entry Deadline: Aug. 2, 2015
NASA and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Foundation are challenging K-12 students to create a model of a container for space using 3-D modeling software. Astronauts need containers of all kinds — from advanced containers for studying fruit flies to simple containers for collecting Mars rocks or storing an astronaut’s food. The ability to 3-D print containers in space — on demand — will let humans venture farther into space. That’s why we are challenging students to start designing for space now.
Design entries could be for a container designed for microgravity on the International Space Station or a container designed for future astronauts on Mars! Space is a big place, but your imagination is even bigger. Multiple prizes, based on age groups, are available.
Entries must be submitted by Aug. 2, 2015.
The Design a Space Container Challenge is the second in a series of challenges where students in grades K-12 create and submit a digital 3-D model of a container that they think astronauts might need in space. Future Engineers is a multiyear education initiative that consists of 3-D space challenges and curriculum videos that parents and educators can use to get kids designing today.
NYS Living Environment: Biology
NYS Earth Science
The World Science Festival invites your students to two exciting Science on Site programs in New York City for science you won’t experience anywhere else.
Event: June 4, 2015
Contact: Sarah Bowers ( ESC@schools.nyc.gov )
Event: July 6, 7 or 8, 2015
Contact: Jacqueline Pilati ( ESC@schools.nyc.gov )
Urban DNA Barcoding Project at ESC
During the two weeks, teachers and their student teams will kick off their yearlong research project by exploring the local environment, the importance of the ecosystem and the concept of DNA barcoding. Teams will begin to understand the importance of species identification as it relates to this ecosystem. Teams will complete field work to gather samples for analysis, and then in the lab, teams will learn lab protocols and procedures to extract the DNA from their samples. Their extractions will be sent to an offsite lab for sequencing and bioinformatics analysis. Once species identification has been established, participants will continue researching the ecosystem and their species to uncover the interdependence of species to support a healthy ecosystem.
Highlights for the summer include:
- Teachers and their students will receive roundtrip transportation to ESC from Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center daily and students will receive roundtrip metro cards for daily transportation to-and-from their home.
- Roundtrip transportation to Marine Park for species collection.
- Access to state of the art scientific equipment for DNA extraction and analysis.
- Per Session rate for teachers.
- Access to DNA Subway software.
- An opportunity to begin their research project alongside leading experts.
- DNA equipment rental during the school year to facilitate additional research opportunities.
- Guidance on how to make this institute into a scalable project within your school.
- Exposure to molecular biology, molecular techniques and modern scientific work.
- Opportunities to learn species collection protocols.
How to Apply:
- Click the “Click Here to Apply” button to complete the application questions on the following screens.
- Click to download the principal letter of support and student forms.
- Have your principal complete the letter of support.
- Select students and have them complete the student application, parent/guardian consent form, and media release form.
- Mail the principal letter of support and student forms. Must be postmarked by Friday, May 29, 2015 to: